Saturday, October 5, 2013

I hate car accidents

It was a normal rainy Friday (the 13th)  afternoon. I had run my morning errands and was making my way back home to relax when a surprise accident caused the rest of my Friday to be anything but relaxing. 

The story goes: I was getting off the freeway and noticed the cars in front of me had were stopped. I too came to a stop when not even 5 seconds later a car slammed into me from behind causing my car to hit the car in front of me. It took me completely by surprise because I was looking straight in front of me and not looking in my rear view mirror to see the car coming. I'm glad I didn't see the car coming because that would've been a horrible sight to see the car heading straight for us.

After the hit I tried quickly to get out of my seat to get to Nixon who was screaming in the back. That was an awful feeling to have, hearing my baby screaming and hoping that he didn't get hurt in the crash. 


our car is the black one in the middle

I got Nixon out of his car seat and looked him over making sure he was ok, thank goodness he was. Once he was out of the car seat and able to move around he was happy as could be.




After I made sure Nixon was ok I called up Lance to tell him the news. Right when he said hello the shock of it all hit me and I started crying. I have been in 2 small fender bender type accidents in my life so this accident was pretty big (and kind of scary) for me. 

Lance immediately left work and came to our rescue. He took pictures of the accident and talked with the police officer and the girl who hit me, making sure we had all the information we needed. So glad I'm married to this wonderful man.



The girl that hit me claims she was picking up her purse from the floor to put on the passenger seat and when she noticed I was stopped she tried to stop but her car didn't stop fast enough because of how wet and rainy it was. To be honest, Lance and I feel she was probably texting or something when she hit me.


I may be smiling but I wasn't very happy at that moment. The accident had hurt my back pretty bad and I am currently going to a Chiropractor to fix it.








The worst part was there was ice cream in the car

The car that hit me

From the force of the hit and the damage to her car and mine we think she was going anywhere from 30-40 mph possibly faster.

The car that I hit. The only damage was the back bumper fell off. This was the only car that was able to drive away, The other girls and mine had to be towed. 

The car was in pretty bad shape and we were hoping it was totaled. Lance had a friend who got in a wreck with probably more damage then our car and his wasn't considered total. He had it fixed but the car was never the same. We didn't want to deal with car problems for the remanding years we had it. 

Lance was right on top of things with calling the insurance and calling the girls insurance to get us a rental car right away so we didn't have to wait all weekend without a car. We have another car, it's a 1997 Honda Accord with about 197,000 miles and we never know when that car might give out on us. Plus Lance has to go to school and work making it a challenge to have just one car. So we wanted to make sure we had a rental car.

A few days later (on Tuesday) an insurance agent (from the girl that hit me) went to the auto body shop to see what the damage would be.  It just so happened the car was pronounced totaled. That was the good news, the not so good news (more like stressful news) was we would only have the rental car for 3 more days and would need to find a new car by then or rely on our Accord till we found one. 

Lance was diligently looking online trying to find the kind of car we wanted in the price range we wanted. Saturday came and we had to return the rental car or pay for it out of our pocket. Needless to say we were hoping to find our new car that day. Lance's brother Ross and sister-in-law Megan were kind enough to watch Nixon as we set out to find our car. 

We were looking into Toyota Rav4's and Lance found some at a car dealership up in North Salt Lake so we headed up that way. We test drove a few and out of those few we found the one we wanted! Lance could've gone for a different color and a V6 engine but he loves the car we got. :)






We are now proud owners of a 2010 Toyota Rav4 and we love it! We do wish we came to buy the car under different circumstances but I'm just glad Nixon didn't get hurt and it wasn't any worse.

Accidents are no fun and I hope to never get in one again!

2 comments:

  1. We all hope you never are in another one again! Still so glad everyone is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a scary, scary thing! Poor Brittney and Nixon!! Glad Lancer Pants got everything taken care of, and so happy you and that sweet baby boy are ok.
    And way cool new car. : )

    ReplyDelete