Saturday, June 2, 2012

No TV = Scripture Study


Over the past few weeks I have been pretty diligent in reading my scriptures every morning while I eat breakfast. This no TV watching has really helped to get this habit going and now I can’t stop. I wanted to read the New Testament because in last April’s general conference it was said that we should read the New Testament and really study and learn about the Savior’s life and ministry. I’ve wanted to read the New Testament for a long time but it wasn’t as familiar, and more complex then the Book of Mormon so I never did (unless you count seminary but even then I’m sure I just skimmed over it).

I wanted to read my scriptures in the morning because it gets harder throughout the day, especially on days I work. I also new for myself and through past experience, that reading my scriptures in the morning before my day really got started would help give me peace and comfort, and help my thoughts and attitude be positive throughout the day.

I’m currently reading in Mark and have been reading about the Savior’s life and ministry while on the earth, and I have truly felt peace and love as I have read these scriptures. I am so grateful to have scriptures to read and learn about ancient prophets and especially my Savior. Today I started the chapters that talk about his final days and everything he suffered and went through. I was reading an article that President Spencer W. Kimball wrote, and a little thing he said really stuck out to me. It simply said that if the Savior needed protection or help, angels’ would have been summoned. I sat and thought about that for a minute and it’s so true. At any point in the Savior’s life, especially during his ministry, if he wanted to he could have summoned angels and they would’ve been there in a second to help him. The Savior knew this yet he went through Gethsemane, being ridiculed and tortured, and then crucified all for us. For the Plan of Salvation to work and be fulfilled he had to go through all of this on his own. 
 
About a year and a half ago Lance, my sister Chelsie and I went and saw some famous paintings of Christ done by a man named Carl Block at BYU. They were all so beautiful and I loved them all, but one painting in particular stuck out to me.



 
This painting shows the Savior in Gethsemane, and while he could not receive help from the Father, the Lord did send an angel to comfort his Son. I absolutely love that thought. It just made my love for my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ grow so much more.

I have a testimony that the Savior lives and has suffered for my sins so that I can live with him again. I have a testimony of the atonement and I am so grateful for it and the power of repentance that the Savior has given us. My heart swells and fills with gratitude every time I read or think about what Christ did for me and everyone on this earth and that he did it out of love for us all. I have a testimony of the gospel and the happiness it brings to my life when I am following the Savior and his example.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing this. You're a spiritual giant.

    BTW, I listen to the scriptures on my iPhone while I get ready in the morning--I seem to get more verses covered, I worry less about what I look like, and I'm a much happier person. It doesn't take the place of reading and pondering...just a tip for helping you work through the New Testament!

    ReplyDelete