Thursday, January 3, 2013

Thanksgiving 2012


This year Thanksgiving was spent with Lance's family. This was the first Thanksgiving that we spent together with his family because last year was our very first Thanksgiving together and it worked out to be with my family.

The big thing with Lance's family that Lance has repeatedly told me is the amount of pies they have for Thanksgiving. I'm not a big pie person but Lance LOVES pies! That's a big part of what he looks forward to during Thanksgiving. Normally my family has maybe 3 pies total for Thanksgiving and so at last years Thanksgiving Lance was a little bummed with that thought that we were only going to have 3 pies. He is used to having 15-20 pies at his families Thanksgiving meal, so I couldn't ruin that for him so I made 4 extra pies on top of the other 3 my mom had already made. Not the 15-20 he may normally have but it was still quite a lot for my family, and he enjoyed every one. This was the first time I had ever made that many pies at once and it was all from scratch (except the pie crusts). I was pretty proud of myself for making that many but I hadn't made anymore pies after that day, until this Thanksgiving.

Lance's family each picked what they would contribute and I volunteered (with the help of a loving nudge from Lance) to make 4 pies, along with some other stuff. This time Lance wanted me to make the whole pie (crust and all) from scratch.

I didn't want to make the pies to early because I didn't want them to get soggy or anything so I waited until Wednesday night to start making them. I had work all day Wednesday so I spent every minute since the moment I got home making pies. It was pretty crazy but Lance was sweet and helped me out.



The next day (Thanksgiving Day) Lance went and played some football with the guys and I finished up making the rest of the food I was going to bring. Again it was a crazy morning getting it all ready but I managed to make 4 pies (cheesecake, key lime, chocolate creme and apple), a vegetable platter, deviled eggs, and funeral potatoes and was pretty proud of myself. After making all that I had an even greater appreciation for my mom making Thanksgiving dinner all by herself as we were growing up! There's a lot of work that goes into making this meal.

The set up




This is the very cute and creative center piece my sister-in-law Megan made.
It's a Turkey made out of different fruits and vegetables!

Each person got one of these home made name boats filled with candy, made
once again by my amazingly creative sister-in-law Megan.

Just part of the delicious Thanksgiving meal!

Grandma Sue looks more excited to eat this meal than Lance does. :)



What Lance had been patiently waiting for.

There was a total of 15 pies!!
I believe 5 or 6 of the pies were pumpkin.


While the boys played corn hole outside...


the girls looked up the black Friday deals inside. :)


We had a great Thanksgiving! Lance was in heaven even after Thanksgiving day with all the left over pies we got to bring home. I'm so grateful to have married into such a wonderful family!

1 comment:

  1. I've been eagerly awaiting these holiday posts! The pictures make me miss everyone, though. Thanks for helping me live it through your photos and commentary!

    ReplyDelete